What is Acne?
Acne is a disease that involves the oil glands of the skin. It is not
dangerous, but can leave unpleasant marks or scars on the skin. Your skin has pores (tiny holes)
which connect to oil glands located under the skin. The glands are
connected to the pores via follicles, which are like small canals. Sebum, an oily
liquid, is produced by these glands.
A blackhead appears when sebum and dead skin cells clog the pore.
While the pore is clogged, its surface remains open that lets us
look into the pore and see a black color.
A whitehead forms when the excess oil and dead skin cells clog the pore and block the opening of the pore.
What Causes Acne?
The cause of acne is not fully understood although stress is a common aggravating factor.
- Hormones - Commonly acne in teenagers starts with an increase in hormone production that occurs during puberty. Both boys and girls produce high levels of androgens which are the male sex hormones that include testosterone. It is the testosterone, which signals the body to make more sebum.
Bacteria. Excess sebum clogs the openings to hair follicles, especially those on the face, neck, chest, and back. Bacteria grow
in these clogged follicles and this makes blackheads or whiteheads form on
the skin's surface. It is therefore vital to wash and cleanse the skin twice daily. We have a ranger of medical grade Agera skincare products to help you combat these bacteria.
- Contraceptives/Steroids - Oral contraceptives may trigger acne in some women but suppress it in others. Some injectable contraceptives and hormonal devices may also cause acne. Steroids used by some bodybuilders and other athletes can also cause severe outbreaks.
What Can Alexandra Road Offer to Help?
There is a particularly wide range of acne treatments when compared with
other cosmetic medical treatment. They all work towards the same goal
of removing the external layers of the scar tissue cells, leaving the
scar either heavily faded or completely removed.
Dr Alex Al-Shaikh can tailor make packages to suit different budgets and age groups.
Below are the some of the treatments we can offer and often use them in combination.
- Medical Grade Skincare - It is vital to be using high quality medical grade skincare when suffering from acne. Many of the products available in stores are full of cheap ingredients and alcohol to dry the skin, which leaves dark scarred areas. We are fortunate to be able to have the expertise to offer medical grade skincare to help prevent the acne from continuing as it contains many scientifically proven ingredients that are not available to buy in general shops.
- Medical Microdermabrasion - This is very useful in removing the top dead cell layers of the skin. When acne occurs often scars are left behind and the diamond tips we use help to remove these top surface layers and allow the smoother unaffected skin below to come through.
- Chemical Peels - We offer both superficial and medium depth chemical peels. These are a combination of acids that help to remove the dead cell layers of the skin allowing the smoother more youthful skin to come through. These are fantastic at helping reduce the appearance of acne. We would normally recommend 2-3 sessions of microdermabrasion prior to the use of chemical peels and medical grade skincare to be used at home to prepare the skin and achieve the best result possible.
If you would be interested in receiving a free consultation with Dr Alex Al-Shaikh to discuss some of these options please do not hesitate to call on 01132818873 or fill out our request a callback form.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY:
We have been providing professional dental treatement to a very high standard for years. Here's what a few of our patients say about our service:
"I have been going to Alexandra Road Dental Practice for 15 years and couldn't think of a bad thing to say, from the second you walk in to the time you leave you feel safe and welcomed, the staff are fantastic and highly skilled in what they do, I would never go to another dentist after coming here." Valo Connors
"Very pleasant from seeing receptionist to dentist and back to receptionist. Treatment painless. Very pleased with all treatment, teeth look great!" Laraine Denise Burton
How much does it cost?
Our latest prices are shown on our price list page
Find out more or book a consultation
0113 281 8873or email@example.com
Our friendly and knowledgeable team, led by our Practice Manager, Sian Denning, are always happy to help with any queries. Rest assured that your enquiry will be treated as strictly confidential and we'll never pressure you into making an appointment.